These last couple of days, I have taken it upon myself to treat myself a bit too much. All I can say is today I feel it in my system. Tonight, I was craving something delicious and healthy. My go to make a salad for dinner was just not what I wanted. I thought about it, and I knew I wanted some type of sandwich. I really do love sandwiches (I mean it is a complete meal between two pieces of bread or lettuce). Also, I had a ton of produce and dried bulk goods, so I figured let me try and improve my tried and true veggie burger recipe. Fun fact about me, I was vegetarian for about 7 years, and there are some days that I crave a completely veg/vegan meal, and readers, today was that day.
I took a look in the pantry, I had red quinoa and french lentils. Now this is not a phenomenal or completely new duo to add to a veggie burger, but as someone who has a difficult time parting ways from her black bean burger, I knew it was time to change it up.
Let’s take a closer look at the results of my veggie burger recipe.
Bulk is the way to go!
So fresh and so clean, clean. Just give them a rinse.
Out of the oven and ready to assemble.
Bon appetit, clean eating never looked so good!
Quinoa and Lentil Burgers
- 1 cup of quinoa (uncooked and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup of dried french lentils
- 3 tablespoons of rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose seasoning (I used Badia Complete Seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 clove mined garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place the quinoa, lentils, and oats in a small saucepan with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and add the red onion, curry, all-purpose seasoning, cumin, paprika, cayenne, minced garlic, and season water with salt. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and cook for about 15 minutes or until the quinoa and lentils are cooked and the water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- While the quinoa and lentils are cooking, add the flax seed and 2 tablespoon of water in a bowl to thicken.
- Once the cooked mixture is off of the hear, stir in the flax seed mixture, red pepper flakes, cilantro, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Form 6 to 8 equal sized patties and place them onto the baking sheet
- Bake burgers for 10 to 15 minutes on one side. Then carefully flip the burgers over and bake the other side for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the burgers are firm on both sides.
- Prepare with your choice of bun and toppings. (I used pita and served with baby spinach, avocado, tomato, cilantro, and mayo)
- Eat and enjoy!
As always, let me know if you tried this recipe. Also, comment if you’d like more vegetarian/vegan recipes posted.
With peace and love,
The Shy Girl.