So if you know me, you know I am a fiend for pizza. I mean who doesn’t love a full meal in one sitting. You have a protein, a carb, a fruit, some veggies, and some added calcium. Pizza can be healthy or it doesn’t have to be–whatever preference.
This week, I have been somewhat busy, my fiancé came into town, and we have been trying to set up for the summer. One of our favorite places, before we moved from DC was Matchbox, and I loved their pesto pizza. However we are in Atlanta now, and I decided why go out and order food when I can recreate it in my kitchen.
Let’s see what the ingredients are!
The dough is simple: flour, olive oil, instant yeast, sea salt, a pinch of sugar, and of course water.
Baby spinach and garlic to accompany my basil pine nut pesto.
Ooooh look at that dough! I got fancy and added some Italian herbs to it.
Prepping that pizza with some shredded chicken, ricotta cheese, spinach mixture, and topping with my some parmesan reggiano.
Yes ma’am its time to eat!
Chicken Pesto Pizza
Pizza Dough (adapted by King Arthur Pizza Crust Recipe)
- 3 cups AP Flour
- 2 teaspoons bread machine or instant dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a pinch of sugar
- cornmeal or olive oil for baking sheet
- 3/4 cup Pesto sauce (you can make yours or buy)
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup finely shredded roasted chicken, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus an additional 1/2 tablespoon for brushing crust
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- For dough: Combine flour, yeast, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook. Make sure that the dry ingredients are combined. When the mixer is running on medium, add the water and the olive oil. Mix until the dough forms into a ball (if your dough is too sticky add a little flour at a time). Take the dough ball out onto a clean floured surface. Knead the dough until it is a smooth ball, about four minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or towel, and place the dough it in a warm area to let it double in size for an 1 hour.
- Take the dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead about 1 to 2 more times.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For pesto topping: While your dough is resting, on medium heat, add olive oil to a medium skillet. Once hot, add spinach, season with salt, pepper, and garlic. Sauté mixture, ensuring you move constantly so that the garlic does not burn. Cook for about 4 minutes. Remove spinach mixture from heat and place to the side.
- For pizza: On a either lightly greased baking sheet or cornmeal dusted pizza stone, form crust.
- Spread with pesto and spinach mixture. Top with shredded chicken, dollops of ricotta, parmesan, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Brush crust with olive oil (I usually add salt and Italian herbs in my olive oil)
- Bake pizza in your preheated oven for 12 minutes, until crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Brush with additional olive oil and slice pizza.
- Eat and enjoy!
As always let me know if you tried this recipe or liked it!
With peace and love,
The Shy Girl.