So this week has been amazing! I ordered my business cards, I’m hosting a cooking class, and working with a chef this weekend. Needless to say, I am enjoying where this week is taking me.
On to the food. Yesterday I was sitting at home, mind you I live about 30 minutes to the nearest edible takeout, and was thinking I could really go for carry out. But, with this commute and the whole saving for a wedding, the budget life gets REAL. That’s when I decided to just make my own rendition of takeout. I had chicken, rice, and egg roll wrappers, I knew I could absolutely make this happen. Chicken teriyaki and egg rolls!
Chicken Teriyaki and Vegetarian Egg Rolls
- 3 pounds (about 12 pieces) bone-in chicken chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoons oil
- Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, chili paste, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved and well combined.
- Place mixture and chicken thighs in a large zip lock bag and make sure that the chicken is well coated. Marinate for at least an hour in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large oven safe skillet place on stove and heat vegetable oil on medium heat
- When oil is heated place the chicken in the skillet and brown the skin (about 4-5 minutes)
- Turn off heat, pour remaining marinade in the skillet with chicken, and place the skillet in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the meat is not longer pink and juice runs clear.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, and serve with steamed vegetables and cooked rice
- Eat and enjoy!
Vegetable Egg Rolls (adapted from Emeril Lagasse)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 head green cabbage julienne
- 4 carrots julienne
- 1 red bell pepper julienne
- 3/4 cup snow peas julienne
- 2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- Small bowl of water for sealing
- Olive oil
- Dipping sauce of choice
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the sesame and canola oil. Saute cabbage for about 1-2 minutes. Add carrots, pepper, ginger, and snow peas. Cook mixture for 2 more minutes.
- In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and soy sauce and whisk until smooth. Stir into vegetable mixture and cook until for 2 more minutes until thickened. Take off of heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 450 and prepare a greased baking sheet
- Work with one egg roll wrapper at a time on a flat surface and lightly brush edges with water. Place about 2 tablespoons of filling in the top third of the egg roll wrap. Roll like a burrito and brush top lightly with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and repeat until all of the filling has been used.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned
- Serve with sauce of choice, I used a honey sesame dipping sauce.
- Eat immediately and enjoy!
Let me know in the comments below if you tried the recipes!
With peace and love,
The Shy Girl